Each year Holocaust Memorial Day Trust (HMDT) organises the UK Commemorative Event for Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD). This is the focal point of HMD in the UK and brings together the civic, faith and political leadership of the country, alongside survivors of the Holocaust and more recent genocides.
The UK Commemorative Event acts as a spotlight for all of the HMD activities in the UK. In addition, HMDT helps ensure that key events take place in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
At this event, we honour survivors of the Holocaust, Nazi Persecution, and the genocides which followed in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur. At a national level, we remember all those who were murdered and resolve to learn lessons from the past to create a safer, better future.
Holocaust Memorial Day 2018
The UK Ceremony for HMD 2018 featured personal testimonies from survivors of genocide, films, readings and music. Newsreader Sameena Ali-Khan narrated the ceremony, with contributors including Charles Dance OBE, Jonathan Dimbleby, Sir Derek Jacobi CBE, Maureen Lipman CBE, Pearl Mackie and Celia Imrie.
To find out more about the national ceremonies which have been held in previous years, click on the links below. You can also explore a gallery of images from previous years at the bottom of the page.
- HMD 2017: How can life go on?
- HMD 2016: Don't stand by
- HMD 2015: Keep the memory alive
- HMD 2014: Journeys
- HMD 2013: Communities together: build a bridge
- HMD 2012: Speak up, speak out
- HMD 2011: Untold stories
- HMD 2010: The legacy of hope
- HMD 2009: Stand up to hatred
- HMD 2008: Imagine...remember, reflect, react
- HMD 2007: The dignity of difference
- HMD 2006: One person can make a difference
- HMD 2005: Survivors, liberation and rebuilding lives