27 January 2015 marks the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau. To mark this important milestone, and to draw together commemorations taking place across the UK, we are creating 70 special candles to be lit at selected Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) commemorations across the UK.
The candles will be sent out to 70 selected HMD activities across the country, drawing national attention to the range and diversity of activities taking place in every part of the country, and binding local events into the UK commemorations. We will be selecting a range of events and activities - with a broad geographic spread, a range of event types, and a selection of sites with particular connections to the Holocaust and subsequent genocides. And we would like you to nominate your HMD activity to host a candle!
To nominate your activity please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description of the event you have planned, and its location by, Wednesday 15 October.
If your activity is selected to host a candle we will ask you to provide us with the following information by Monday 1 December.
- A short description of your activity
- A photo - it could be from your 2014 event, or you could pose for a photo with key participants at the venue you plan to use
- Decide on an interesting and appropriate person to light the candle - and let us know who they are and why they have been chosen
- Let HMDT know when the event will be held - ideally on 27 January - and ideally at the same time as when candles will be lit at the UK Commemorative Event (around 4.30pm)
- Be willing to host the media at your event and be interviewed by the media
- Upload your event to our website events pages, and to the Auschwitz Museum's global map of commemoration
We expect many HMD activity organisers to be excited by this opportunity, and that many of you will want to put your activity forward to host a candle. Please don't be disappointed if your activity is not selected - we are aiming to choose a selection of events with good geographical spread, and a variety of different types of event. If your activity is not selected it is not a reflection on the quality of the work that you do!
We look forward to receiving your nomination!